Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wishcasting Wednesday ~ Winter Wishing

More than all the other seasons, Winter brings out the most of my inner child. While I love the heat of summer, hanging at the beach with my little one, watching her embrace her inner mermaid.....there's something about Winter that moves my spirit more and motivates my body to jump into the piles of snow, make forts, slide down dangerous hills and gracefully glide along the ice. I can't stand the cold...but bring on a winter wonderland any day for me!

This year though I feel ominous about the upcoming Winter. Mainly because my time horsing around outside with my daughter is cut in half as she now goes to school half days. The adventures that we would get into, our appetite for "more mommy, more!" is now curtailed by someone else's timeline...and I'm fearful that the darkness of the season will swoop in while she's gone (ok, I'm also going through a bit of 'empty nest' thingy.)

It's been on my mind, so with Jamie's prompt today of "What is your Winter wish?", I've decided to create an intention for the upcoming months:

Dear Winter,
We have been close friends for a long time. I love how you turn the greyness of the sleeping trees into white lace, and the yellow grass into a playground of fluffy marshmellowness. I'm grateful that my daughter now also adores you...and she wakes up each morning these days anticipating your arrival. She won't be around as much to play with you this year though. There's this thing called "learning" in another place called "school" that she also interested in...and well, she's going to be sharing her time between it, you, and me.

It sucks the big one.

Here's what I'm thinking though Winter...could you maybe dump lots and lots of snow this year...enough to ensure a record number of "snow days" from school? That way she'd get to stay home and we'd have all day to chillax together...and you my friend, would forever remain my hero.

Barring that (sheesh), we could just find another way to be with each other I suppose. What else are you good at? I've heard some folks say that they like to hunker down during your staycation and turn inward to reflect on what's stirring within them...something about nurturing oneself in the seasonal darkness to prepare for the light and renewed life of Spring . Sounds hokey to me...but I'm willing to give it a go if it means that I'll get through this with my sanity intact. I do have some creative projects that have been waiting to come to life when I had more time. Is that the key to our new relationship Winter...do you magically provide extra hours to do stuff for ME? Could your existence be not only about snow and hot chocolate and tobogganing, but also about an opportunity to spend more time with myself and just myself?

I'm not saying I'm interested in any of that...not at all, but so as not to hurt your feelings and end our relationship, I'll give it a go. Bring it on Winter...all your glorious quiet time and new-found hours, all your billowy flakes to brighten up my creative space with your Light, and your occasional, extra snow days.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww....I just LOVE this!!
Awesome post my friend!

I have been there, I know how you're feeling. No more playing out in the white stuff spontaneously. Now the routine of school interfers with our primal love of nature and our ability to participate in it at a moment's notice.

As you wish for the magic of snow, I wish for you also!
Happy Winter!!

"let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

WrightStuff said...

Great post! We had some snow days like that last year, but now I work from home... so no excuse not to go in :(

Jane said...

I love the snow too. My husband, not so much because he triathlon trains year round. But I love the snowball fights, the fires and so much more! As you wish for your letter to Winter to be answered, I lovingly wish for you too.

Holly said...

I laughed at your letter to Winter! Thank you.

As this Mom wishes for herself, so I lovingly and with intention wish for her and her little one as well.

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse said...

Your letter to winter made me kinda well up in my eyes...sigh...I so get the empty nest thingie when they are still so little and precious and how unfair that they have to have someone else's attention for half a day. If only they could be 3,4 and 5 for about 10 years! This is a great time to refill the mommy well so that you have even more to offer her when she is home on those snow days!

As WRO wishes for herself, so I wish for her too!

Suzie Ridler said...

As WRO wishes, I wish for her also.

Bring on the snow days! Where you are, not where I am. Just let me make that perfectly clear.

Goodness said...

I LOVE this letter.

I grew up in the tropics, but my mom always granted us one "snow" day a year. We would pretend we were snowed in and would stay home and bake cookies and drink hot chocolate and make memories. Just an idea in case Winter does not cooperate with you.

As Wild Roaming One wishes for herself, so I truly wish for her as well.

Wishing you nothing but lots of winter goodness!

Sarah Sullivan said...

As WRO wishes, I wish for her also:)
Hi Oat...thank you for the quote hon..I love it. Printed it off and stuck it above my computer!!
I so so so understand what you are saying...my last little chicky went off to big school this year..half days too..I feel lost a bit still. I have even considered homeschooling again next year..I love Christmas vacation and snow day..whoot!! I have learned to take some time to myself and enjoy it ..I am looking forward to walking down to the coffee shop in the snow and sipping cocoa..alone..just me!! Hang in there hon!! Hugs, Sarah

Shirl said...

As WRO wishes for herself, I wish for her as well!

Just so long as all that snow doesn't hit the Central NJ area lol! Blessed be!

Expressive Hart said...

I LOVE your letter to Winter! Would you believe it snowed today in TEXAS? As WRO wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!

Karen D said...

what a wonderful letter you have written to winter! As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also, may it be so.

Sulwyn said...

Love the letter! As WRO wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Robin said...

Oh Wild Roaming One, I loved reading your intention, and I'm pretty sure Winter was listening somewhere, too.

As a happy nerd to the nth degree, I have to say that I loved every day of school - much to my own kids' great chagrin! Your little one will need you even more now to help navigate the world.

That being said, I STILL wish you lots of snow days. And, just in case ...

As WRO wishes for herself, so I wish for her.

BunnyKissd said...

As you wish for yourself, I also wish...