Thursday, November 2, 2006

Day 2 - Lullabyes are so old school, yo!

Like most children, Monkey-Moo loves music, and especially singing. In our family, that means that she mostly listens to adult-type music, with a good measure of kid-friendly songs to ward off CAS being called on our butts.

It also means yours truly gets to sing her to sleep. At first, it was to Annie Lennox, Sarah McLaughlin and Babe (as in Sony & Cher). Then as she grew that much older, I began to introduce songs that were supposed to be more to her liking and more to her age group (between you and me, she prefers our music). For the most part, I enjoy singing to her at bed time...I know the day will come all too soon when I'll barely get a good night from her as she whisks by, trying to conceal the odor of alcohol on her 16 year old breath. *sniff* They grow up so fast...

I sing the typical songs...Twinkle, Twinkle, Ba Ba Black Sheep, blah blah blah and Goddess bless her, she'll prompt me with a slurred, bottle-muffled "more!" which translates to "next song, pwease!" I'm happy to oblige past the kiddy songs seeing as I've now thrown in a few of my own child-hood favorites to add to the mix so as not to fall asleep from the mindnumbing, repedative drone :

Lean On Me ~ The Temptations (original by Bill WIthers)
I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing ~ Lea Salonga
Sing a Song ~ ?
Oh Little Playmate ~ a hand-clapping game
Turn Around - Kenny Logins

So tell me, what songs do your children enjoy listening and singing along with? Do you have any personal favorites that you're passing on? Will your child one day hear Prince's "Delirious" and remember a Saturday night rock-out fest when she was two?? Oh wait, that's my kid...

No comments: